Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Saturday 21st October - departures...

I spent most of today on a plane!! Well that's not strictly true.
I got to Melbourne Airport at the crack of dawn with the folks. Okay 7.45am to be precise. They flew out to Cairns at 9.45am. I sat in the airport waiting to check in at noon. Which I do. In between I read books. I write pages and pages in my journal. I sing a along to Madonna in my MP3 and I drink latte. I look dodgy in my tracksuit bottoms and body warmer. But I am harmless.
I go through passport control. And x-ray. Then I am asked to step to one side for an explosive check. Nice.
I buy perfume and pressies for people back home.
My flight is called. I go to the boarding lounge - on the TV are orangutans, Mum has texted to say they are safely in Cairns. Its 2.15pm and the plane is waiting. Its called Newcastle.
Flight leaves on time and I have 3 seats to my self on the right hand side of the plane. Tears come to my eyes as I ascend into the skies. I am leaving behind my parents and more memories, but worse I am leaving Melbourne which by default means I am leaving Stu.
We hit our airborne height and I investigate the on demand entertainment console.
I get to see Uluru from the window of the plane. It's magnificent.
Soon Australia is behind me and the Indonesian islands before me. Sabah. Inwardly I wave to Stu and Emma far below me.
Singapore. The roof garden is now a full blown bar as well as smokers refuge.
Back onto Newcastle and a heaving plane and 13 hours of near torture back to London..... roll on Sunday morning.

No comments: