Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Friday 6th October - Walks and Talks

(This map maybe of use of the next few entries - my walks around the city of Melbourne!)




For some weird reason (jet lag, beer, excitement etc) I woke really early this morning. In time to see the sun rising beyond Flinders Street and the MCG...

Look at the filthy windows my hotel has provided.. and they are moaning it hasn't rained in weeks - so why the dirty windows?!


In a fit of enthusaism and wishing to take full advantage of the gorgeous weatehr I got up and went to the restaurant for breakfast - first one up! First one in the dining area! Very nice it was too - fruit, cereals and a wholesome plate of bacon, scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomatoes... and some very tasty bread. Set me up a treat. So a walk was in order before family managed to heave into town! I have never really ventured further than Southbank so decided to wander into the docklands part of Melbourne.....


The Aquaruim


The Melbourne Exhibition Centre - blue skies!
The Rialto Tower


Then the walk became something of a bridge spot!!! And believe me there are quite a few over the Yarra as today and Sunday's walk will prove!






Yes this is a bridge!!



Docklands


Polly Woodside!




ME!



My hotel is the grey building towards the left - over looking the railway!



The mecca - not a bingo hall but the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Well best finish where I started this blog entry!


After my walk I headed back to the north side of the river and met Stu n Em and Ma & Pa, fresh off the bus! We were in search of cuff links. Oh deep deep joy! Emma made a smart move by going to have her haired dyed which excused her nicely from the Fairbrass shopping experience. Melbourne is based on a grid system - but by the time Stu had finsihed with us I felt like I had been in a maze!! Round and round. Melbourne Central. Melbourne Central. La Trobe Street for some tops sushi rolls! Absolutely gorgeous!! 5 dollars gets you three almost 4 inch long sushi rolls filled with lots of delicious fresh stuff... rockin! dad was not so impressed so we found a cafe across the road for him to have a massive sarnie. At this point Stuart introduced us to the down and out dogs who roam this end of town. Sure enought the two dogs came trotting round the corner with their owner not far behind.


We finally wandered back towards Swanston, and I continued on to the Young and Jacksons. Emma and I were going to have a girlie afternoon - just getting to know each other and erm you guessed it - drinking beer!

No comments: